Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 6: Stop making us eat pizza!


Breakfast

The meal:  Fruit and yogurt parfaits, peanut butter toast on whole-wheat bread. 

What they ate:
Big R ate a large parfait and a half piece of peanut butter toast

Little R ate a small parfait and half a piece of peanut butter toast

My notes: Okay, so I bought a big tub of plain lowfat yogurt yesterday.  Yay me!  I scooped some into a bowl and added a little vanilla extract to flavor it.  I layered yogurt with frozen organic wild blueberries, diced banana, and some plain granola (no nuts or other stuff in it that would be a choking hazard for Little A).  They loved it!

Lunch

The meal:  PB&J on whole wheat, clementines, leftover pizza

What they ate:
Big R ate 2/3 of a PB&J and two clementines.

Little A ate a 1/3 of a PB&J minus the crusts, a small slice of cheese pizza minus the crust, and a whole clementine, diced up.

My notes: At first I suggested leftover pizza for lunch and Big R said “No more pizza!”  Wow, even kids get pizza fatigue.  Who knew?  So I made some PB&J.  When I served it, Little A said “I want pizza!”  So after he ate most of his sandwich, I gave him a small slice of cheese pizza.

Dinner

The meal:  Black beans and rice, your way.  Topping choices included roasted sweet potatoes, diced avocado, toasted chopped almonds, chopped onion and cilantro, and crumbled feta cheese.  Also applesauce and milk.

What they ate:
Big R had a large serving of brown rice topped with toasted almonds, about ½ cup of roasted sweet potato cubes, about 3 black beans, applesauce, and milk.

Little A ate ¼ cup black beans, ¼ cup brown rice, no sweet potatoes, applesauce, and milk.

My notes: This is one of my favorite dinners.  It includes delicious smoky black beans served over brown rice, and topped in any way that strikes your fancy.  I always make the roasted sweet potatoes mentioned in the recipe- they are SO GOOD.  I thought I’d try this one out on the boys since Little A really likes black beans.

Snacks:  No morning snack- we were so busy playing, we forgot all about it!  Afternoon snack was pretzel rods and a small number of mini m-n-ms.  Little A may have an m-n-m addiction. 

Daily thoughts:  A pretty good food day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment